ASCE is … Continuing Education
Southwest Branch members learn about the construction of UW-Madison’s new Union South.
ASCE is … Networking
Southwest Branch members network during the 2013 scholarship banquet at Union South.
ASCE Geographic Services is proud to announce the Continuing Education schedule of seminars and workshops for spring and summer scheduled in our geographic area. These seminars/workshops have been produced by ASCE’s Continuing Education Department with you in mind.
|Deep Foundations: Design, Construction, and Quality Control||April 30–May 1, 2015||Cleveland, OH|
|Earth-Retaining Structures: Selection, Design, Construction, and Inspection —Now in an LRFD Design Platform||May 14–15, 2015||Cincinnati, OH|
|Design of Foundations for Dynamic Loads||June 3–5, 2015||Minneapolis, MN|
|Design and Strengthening of Shallow Foundations for Conventional and Pre-Engineered Buildings ~Newly Updated for 2012 IBC and 2011 ACI-318||June 11–12, 2015||Chicago, IL|
|Design and Construction of Launched Bridges||July 23–24, 2015||Cincinnati, OH|
|Fire Protection and Detection Systems for Civil Engineers: Analysis, Design, Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance — NEW||August 13–14, 2015||Chicago, IL|
|Aluminum Structural Design with the 2015 Aluminum Design Manual —NEWLY UPDATED||September 10–11, 2015||Minneapolis, MN|
|Dam Breach Analysis Using HEC-RAS||September 23–25, 2015||Chicago, IL|
Find more information here: ASCE Continuing Education.
The UW chapter of ASCE is sending five student representatives to the Global Engineering Conference in Panama City, October 5-11, 2014, hosted by the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and Engineers Without Borders (EWB). In addition to attending the conference, the five students will participate in Design Global, Engineer Local, an accelerated leadership course on designing for sustainable community development.
As we all know, living off a college budget can be difficult. The students going on this trip are each paying almost $2,000 out of pocket for this opportunity. By becoming a sponsor of their group, you are not only supporting these students in a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to grow as globally-minded engineers, you are also opening doors for your
company to grow, as well.
Please click here for more information on sponsoring the students.
Our latest news and highlights are listed below. If you have any exciting news about civil engineers in our community, let us know!
- Check out our May newsletter here.
- While we don’t hold our regular luncheon or dinner meetings during the summer, we still have activities going on! Follow us on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/ASCE-Wisconsin-Section-Southwest-Branch/231640126882371) or check your email for the latest updates on news and events in our branch.
- UW-Madison steel bridge team takes 5th place overall at nationals: http://www.nssbc.info/
- UW-Madison water resources alumni reception on July 10-11: https://sites.google.com/a/wisc.edu/cee-water-reunion/
- CEE golf outing fundraiser at Pleasant View Golf Course on September 25: https://sites.google.com/a/wisc.edu/cee-golf-outing/
- Our next meeting will be on May 22nd with WSPE at Fitzgerald’s in Middleton. Our speaker will be Tom Beekman from the Wisconsin DOT who will be discussing frac mining in the US. Check out our event page for details and RSVP. Remember that RSVPs are due by May 20th!
- Join the Younger Members on May 24th for a volunteer day helping with restoration efforts at the Arboretum. We’ll head to Tony Frank’s afterward for lunch. Check out the event page for information and RSVP.
- Needing to catch up on your PDHs for the year? As an ASCE member, you can get five for FREE with on-demand webinars. Visit the ASCE website to view the list of the 60 freely available webinars for members: https://secure.asce.org/ASCEWebsite/Benefits/Membership/FreeOnDemandWebinars.aspx
- Both UW-Platteville and UW-Madison are moving on to nationals in Concrete Canoe. Check out the Nationals website to see more information about our teams and others: http://www.asce.org/concretecanoe/basic_cy.aspx?id=25769805287
- Opportunities to get involved! We are always looking for people to get involved with all levels of planning for the branch. This is a great opportunity to get involved in the community, network, and boost your resume! Contact us for more information.
- Are you on LinkedIn? Come join our new group page to network with other branch members!
- A summary of our generous scholarship donors from 2013 can now be found on our Scholarships page. Go here to see how you can help in 2014.