On April 26th several of our younger members went bowling at Bowl-A-Vard! Though no one scored 300, the younger members had a great time! Hope to see everyone at the next event.
Our current Wisconsin Section President, Justin Bilskemper as well as former ASCE WI SW Board Member, Larry Ryan attended the UW-Madison Engineers Without Borders Student Chapter Spring Banquet. The Southwest Branch presented a check to the student chapter to help fund their efforts. We hope to get an update from the chapter in the next couple of weeks!
Over the last couple of months, I can proudly say that the Southwest Branch has been busy hosting and attending a variety of events. These events include lunch meetings, volunteer opportunities, and fun networking event. Please see the list we have compiled below for a summary of our events from October 2017 to February 2018.
One of the events I would like to highlight is our Annual Scholarship Dinner. Each year, with the help of our members, the Wisconsin Sections and donations from local firms, the ASCE Southwest Branch Scholarship Fund program can award scholarships to recognize outstanding civil engineering students with the cost they incur for their education. Myself and the board would like to thank our generous donors and congratulate this year’s recipients!
Turning the page to March, we look forward to the ASCE Wisconsin Section 2018 Spring Technical Conference on March 16th, 2018 (Click here for more information). This year’s technical conference is organized by the Southeast Branch and will be hosted at the Country Springs Hotel and Conference Center in Pewaukee. The conference is always a great opportunity to network with fellow members, and a great way to earn PDH credits!
Looking beyond the conference, the Southwest branch hopes to host another lunch meeting and several social/networking events before summer arrives. If you have not already done so, please check our website and calendar for updates to upcoming events!
Harry Tran, EIT
ASCE Wisconsin SW Branch President
Event Summary (October 2017-February 2018)
- October 2017
- Bowling Event with the UW-Madison Students
- This event is always a great opportunity for students and professionals to network and have a little fun as well!
- UW Madison Scholarship Dinner (1-2 PDH)
- The event included a tour of the Charter Street Heating and Cooling Plant followed the scholarship dinner which included a presentation by Katie Macdonald and Bruce Morrow (Ayres & Associates) titled “Beyond Functional Design”
- January 2017
- Workshop for Section and Branch Leaders (WSBL)
- Every year regions 3, 6, & 8 host a leadership conference. This year we had our President Elect and one of our Directors attend the conference in Omaha, Nebraska. The conference is always a great opportunity for our board members to share and collaborate with other ASCE leaders.
- November 2017
- UW Platteville Scholarship Dinner (1-PDH)
- Though it can be a bit of a trek for some of our members, the UW Platteville Scholarship Dinner is always a great to show our support for our Platteville members. This year scholarship dinner included a presentation on the Quilt Block Wind Farm Located near Darlington, Wisconsin by Brodie Dockendorf
- December 2017
- Ugly Sweater Pub Crawl (YMG)
- The YMG enjoyed a wonderful night filled with beer and food! YMG hopes to see more members and ugly sweaters for next years!
- Lunch Meeting (Recent Innovations in the Concrete Industry) (1-PDH)
- Our guest speaker for the December lunch meeting was Kevin McMullen, current President of the Wisconsin Concrete Pavement Association. Kevin and those members who attended had a great time and interesting dialogue on the future of concrete.
- January 2018
- Lunch Meeting (Asset Management) (1-PDH)
- Our guest speaker was Cathy Wunderlich of the WDNR. The presentation gave some insight into how asset management is used to help meet the Safe Drinking Water Act and how asset management is a hot topic at the EPA.
- UW-Madison Student Chapter Mini Golf
- Hosted by the student chapter, the event is great opportunity for the student chapter to raise money for the various ASCE competitions they have in the future. The fundraiser included appetizers, a round of mini-golf, and a silent auction. We highly encourage professionals and their employers to attend and support the student group.
- February 2018
- Mathcounts Competition (YMG)
- Mathcounts is an annual math competition open to all sixth, seventh, and eight grade students. Our YMG members volunteer every year to help judge the competitions!
- Engineer’s Week Banquet (1-PDH)
- This was a joint meeting with the Wisconsin Society of Professional Engineers (WSPE). Every year WSPE awards scholarships to high achieving high school seniors in the Madison area who will be attending college in an engineering program. This year’s recipients had GPAs of 3.9 and 4.0 and both scored 33 on the ACT. Wow!
- Badger Hockey Game (YMG)
- This year’s game was the classic border battle between the Badgers and the Gophers. The event was well attended and both students and professionals had a good time. Even though everyone had a fun time, the results were less than desired for many. Though I must put as a disclaimer that I am a proud University of Minnesota alumnus that very much enjoyed the results of the game…SKI-U-MAH.
- ASCE Wisconsin Section 2018 Spring Technical Conference (March 16, 2018)
On January 18th the branch hosted a lunch meeting at The Thirsty Goat. We had Cathy Wunderlich (WDNR Public Water Engineering Section Chief) talk on the topic of “Asset Management.” The event was attended by over 20 members!